• In one village , survival is linked to forest conservation

    WHEN Jamila Sallimu chikunda found out she was pregnant with her child in 2015, her joy quickly turned to anxiety. Chikunda ‘s family was struggling to make ends meet and she didn’t know how they would afford to pay for the delivery and costs associated with the pregnancy IN Tanzania , expectant mothers need to […]

    Continue reading
  • Illegal settlers threaten zimbabwe’s timber industry

    From the mountaintop at Skyline in the Chimanimani district of eastern Zimbabwe, a mosaic of scorched trees and timber can be seen stretching for miles on end. Lit by a wave of illegal settlers, the fires regularly rage through the pine and eucalyptus plantations of Manicaland province , destroying vast swathes of timber at enormous […]

    Continue reading
  • Villagers face eviction over forest encroachment

    Monduli Two villages in Monduli District,Arusha Region may have their registration revoked after it was found that their boundaries extended into a forest reserve, government authorities warned here last week. Monduli Two villages in Monduli District,Arusha Region may have their registration revoked after it was found that their boundaries extended into a forest reserve, government […]

    Continue reading
  • Mti wenye miaka 600 wapatikana nchini

    moshi Mtafiti wa viumbe na mazingira kutoka chuo kikuu cha Bayreuth cha nchini ujerumani, Dk Andres Hemp ameelesea sifa za mti ujulikanao kama mkukusu kuwa unaweza kushi kati ya miaka 200 hadi 300, lakini ulionekana nchini una miaka 600. SOMA ZAIDI

    Continue reading
  • Shehena ya mbao yanaswa Mwanza

    By Ngollo John, Wakala wa Mistu nchini (TFS) mkoani hapa imekamata mbao 995 zenye thamani ya Sh15 milioni zilizokuwa zinamilikiwa kinyume na sheria ya misitu namba 14 ya mwaka 2002. Ofisa Mistu Mkoa wa Mwanza, Emmanuel Mgimwa alisema mbao hizo zilikamatwa wakati wa msako uliofanyika Februari 4, mwaka huu katika eneo la biashara la mfanyabiashara, […]

    Continue reading
  • TANZANIA FORESTRY WORKING GROUP (TFWG) WORKSHOP IN LUSHOTO

    Tanzania Natural Resources Forum (TNRF) is hosting a workshop in Lushoto from today 1st February to 3rd February. More than 10 participants including TFWG members from different organizations have attended this workshop (WWF, JET, SHIVIMITA, MJUMITA, LEAT, MCDI, FARM AFRICA, TRAFFIC, AFRICARE, and TASONABI). The objective of this workshop is to review the Tanzania Forestry […]

    Continue reading
  • Tanzania: Charcoal Demand ‘To Double By 2030’

    By Saumu Mwalimu Dar es Salaam — Charcoal demand in Tanzania is likely to increase from 2.4 million to over 5 million tonnes annually by 2030 unless an affordable alternative cooking energy is found, experts have said. To minimise environmental impacts of high demand they say the government must formalise charcoal business and put appropriate […]

    Continue reading
  • HIFADHI YA TAIFA YA MSITU WA MKWENI UPO HATARINI KUTOWEKA KUTOKANA NA UHARIBIFU WA MAZINGIRA

    Na Evelyn Mkokoi Hifadhi ya Taifa ya Msitu wa Ukwemi uliyopo katika wilaya ya Kahama upo hatarini kutoweka kutokana na shughili za kibinadamu zinazofanywa ndani ya hifadhi hiyo zinazochangia kwa kiasi kikubwa uharibifu wa mazingira. Hayo yameelezwa na Meneja kutoka wakala wa Taifa wa Misitu Bw. Mohamed Dosa wakati wa Ziara ya Naibu Waziri Ofisi […]

    Continue reading
  • MAJALIWA AAGIZA “BEACONS” ZIWEKWE KWENYE HIFADHI ZA MISITU

    Dar es Salaam. Waziri Mkuu, Kassim Majaliwa ametoa miezi miwili kwa wakuu wa Mapori ya hifadhi za Msitu kuhakikisha wanaweka mawe ya alama(beacons) kwenye mipaka yao ili kuepusha migogoro na wanavijiji wanaowazunguka. Majaliwa ametoa agizo hilo leo(Jumatatu) wakati akizungumza na watendaji wakuu wa wizara ya Maliasili na Utalii na wakuu wa mapori ya hifadhi za […]

    Continue reading
  • WHY VILLAGE COMMUNITIES REPRESENTATION MANAGING GOVERNMENT FOREST RESERVE

    About 31 per cent of the forest resources are conserved under different management systems including the central and local governments and the remaining 69 per cent is under general and village land. Currently, nearly 600 forests are managed by the central government, 200 forests by the district authorities and 480 forests under village authority ownership. […]

    Continue reading